We all know dating is a minefield at the best of times, but one of the most confusing and stressful parts about seeing someone new is deciding when that partnership has reached the next level.
Monarch research has revealed that planning a holiday, driving each other’s cars and having a key to your partners flat are all signs a relationship has gotten serious.
Our survey of 2,000 people revealed the top 50 things which indicate a couple are past the ‘seeing each other’ phase of a relationship.
We’ve created a fun infographic of the top 10 signs it’s serious – please tell us in the comments if you agree or disagree!
Posting a photo on Facebook, changing your status to ‘in a relationship’ and being introduced to wider friendships circles also show couples are the ‘real deal.’ Meeting potential in-laws, staying overnight and divulging salary details also show trust and growing love for a partner.
Couples are usually together for just over five months before they deem the relationship to be ‘serious’.
It’s no longer just a case of talking about moving in together, marriage and children. There are smaller elements such as when to say I love you, when to stay the night, and when to swap house keys. There are other acts which can show real commitment such as agreeing to spend a week away together or attending family gatherings.
The study also highlighted that couples deem a relationship as more serious when they get more comfortable with each other – which means seeing each other without make up, showering together, lounging around the house in pajamas and even discussing intimate health issues.
A whopping 43 per cent said the words “I love you” signified their relationship had taken a big step, and the same percentage said talking about moving in together was a significant development.
The study also shows two in 10 people knew their current relationship was serious after they planned a holiday together. In fact, two thirds of people polled and in a relationship claimed they felt their first holiday together was a real milestone and demonstrated how committed they were to each other.
Four in 10 people went on a short break together first to make sure they got on well, before making the commitment of spending seven nights or longer in each other’s company. And when asked how far into a relationship a holiday should be, the average person feels this should be about seven months in.
The indications that a relationship has become serious will be different for every couple. But, booking a holiday or short break together can be a good test of a new relationship. Others will simply be happy to have a toothbrush at each other’s house and a good night text message. What is clear is that relationships are a complex business, and it takes time and effort to create a long lasting and meaningful union.
TOP 50 SIGNS IT’S SERIOUS
- Meeting the parents
- Exchanging house keys
- Planning a holiday together
- Discussing plans for the future
- Being invited to family gatherings
- Saying “I love you”
- Staying overnight at each other’s houses
- Signing Christmas / Birthday cards together
- Seeing each other at least every other night
- Leaving a toothbrush at each other’s house
- You tell each other absolutely everything
- Letting them take care of you when sick
- Being introduced to wider friendships circles
- Discussing how many children you might want in the future
- Buying a dog or cat together
- Driving each other’s cars
- Inviting them to a wedding as a date
- Divulging salary details
- Letting them know your pin number
- Discussing holidays
- Having a drawer at each other’s house
- When you HYPOTHETICALLY talk about IF you lived together
- Inviting people round as a couple
- Having clothes and other belongings at each other’s houses
- First name terms with their mum and dad
- Talking about intimate health issues
- Farting in front of each other
- Inviting them out with your friends / family
- Receiving cards or gifts addressed to both of you
- When you know what each other’s plans are for every single day
- Showering together
- Changing Facebook status to ‘in a relationship’
- You know each other’s passwords
- Wearing pyjamas when you get home from work
- You share secrets about friends with each other
- Always being the ‘plus one’ on invites
- Getting food in your big shop just for them
- You start watching TV shows they like
- Phoning each other at work
- Stop putting make up on to look gloriously fresh before they wake up
- When they start asking for your opinion on stuff
- Going out with friends or family without the partner being there
- Signing off ‘love’ in a card
- You start listening to music they like
- You stop seeing people you know they don’t like
- Putting a photo of the two of you on Facebook
- Sending good morning / goodnight texts
- Having a pet name for each other
- Telling each other how many sexual partners you’ve had
- When all their friends add you on Facebook
Leave a comment
- Please recheck your ID.